Birth Doula Package
- 2 prenatal sessions; one virtual and one in-person.
- Text and phone support, from hiring to 4 weeks postpartum.
- Personalized referrals to community services.
- Includes Brood’s Family Membership, with access to our 5 online courses, virtual private clubhouse, and the member’s area.
- Colostrum collection kit with written and video instructions.
- Continuous, one-on-one care, from early labor onwards until 2 hours after birth.
- The use of aromatherapy and any other tools in my doula bag.
- Ensuring that the birther and support team are hydrated and eating properly.
- First feed, latching, and newborn care support.
- Birth photography and videos (if desired).
- 1 to 2 in-person visits, focusing on newborn care and easing your transition into parenthood.
- Unlimited text, phone, and email support for the first 4 weeks postpartum.
- Assistance seeking postpartum resources.
What languages do you speak?
What is your personal definition of “doula”?
A doula is a physical and emotional supporter, and a safe space for the birther to open up about their excitement, concerns, or questions. I believe that a doula should be able to find the balance between being present in the room, with the birther and support team, and knowing when it’s time to make space for medical support. A doula works as part of the team to help bring the baby into the world, whichever way they may come.
What brought you to birth and postpartum work?
After having my first baby, I realized how important it was to have my sister in the room, alongside my partner, supporting both of us. I wanted to be that person for other birthers, as birth can be unpredictable and, in many cases, a new experience. I love supporting and advocating for birthers and listening to what they need — while doing my best to help provide them with that in a safe way. I have always loved watching medical professionals working in labor and delivery, and I always feel so privileged to be working in the same environment as them.
In a climate of caregiver burnout, how are you caring for yourself?
I care for myself by forcing myself to take breaks and asking for my partner’s support to encourage those breaks. I have two toddlers at home, and am a part-time elementary school teacher, so preventing burnout is extremely important. Alone time with my own thoughts and no disruptions has worked well for me, as well as taking time to work on my own personal writing and performance creating.
What is a standout book, movie/tv, etc about the childbearing/parenting journey that you return to?
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
- Birth Doula Training, DONA.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre Performance, SFU School for the Contemporary Arts.
- Bachelor of Education, UBC.
FOR YOUR PERSONAL LEARNING, WHAT IS THE WORKSHOP/TRAINING ON YOUR RADAR?
- Postpartum Doula Training!
Hiring Jamie as our doula was the best decision for our family! Her candid humor and honesty were just what we needed to help us through a few very difficult months. She balanced professionalism and friendship extremely well, and we cannot thank her enough for helping us bring our miracle baby into the world! We love you, Jamie! — Lexi
With the amazing support of Jamie as my doula, I truly loved my birth. She was attentive before, during, and after delivery. Our journey began with a series of conversations where Jamie helped me decide how I wanted her to support me, so when the time came, she and I were completely in sync. She knew when to step in and step out, advocated for me and communicated with my partner and medical team with ease, and supported me after through home visits and phone calls. I was worried about life postpartum, but Jamie helped me step into my new role as a parent with confidence and joy. — Sarah Faye
Having Jamie support my partner and I through birth and beyond was one of the best decisions I have made. She has an extremely calming presence and shares her knowledge and experience through practical yet personal communication. Her support instilled confidence into both my partner and I, which has carried on into looking after our newborn. Cannot recommend her enough. — Steph